Thursday, July 3, 2014

A Question Of Pronunciation

As Martinus Publishing grows and gains more popularity, a question keeps getting posed to me.  Namely, how do you pronounce Martinus?  It wasn't something I ever considered difficult, it was basically my first name with "us" tagged onto the end.  It actually originated as a joke ages ago regarding a "gladiator" name, but that's beside the point.

For those who might be in doubt, it is "Mar-tin-us."  Some people have mistakenly translated it as "Martinez" and a few times I've heard it as Martin U.S., with the last two letters spelled out.  Ironic, that I've had such trouble getting people to say my last name properly over the years, now I have an entire company that can trip them up!  It's only fitting, I suppose.


So, if anyone asks, make sure they know it's us, not is.

1 comment:

  1. That's dang amusing, Matroneus, er, Martriness - whoever you are. I'd think people would have far more difficulty with Ingham, which I presume would be pronounced "ING-em", skirting the h. For anyone who calls you Martinez, your last name would likely be "hammed."

    To this day, our own beloved Karl Rich refers to me as Edmond.

    ReplyDelete