Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Unforsaken: A New Beginning

It's done!  At long last, after tinkering with the last chapters since December, I can finally say that I have completed "The Six-Gun Conjurer."  It wasn't really an arduous process, but the last ten thousand words just took their sweet time getting onto the page.  I had a lot of distractions along the way, and other projects in the works that delayed me, but now this is one project that is complete—or almost.  Of course, I'll be giving it another once-over before sending it off to the publisher, and they'll of course have some suggestions as well.  But for the most part, it is complete.

Finishing off this third volume in my "Fantasy Western" series, I was thinking of taking a break, and moving on to something new or perhaps revisiting a different franchise in my growing repertoire of invented worlds.  However, yet again I feel compelled to continue this series, and answer some very big questions that linger at the end of the three book set.

The ending of "The Six-Gun Conjurer" leaves us with some very large unresolved threads.  While the book doesn't end on a cliffhanger, it does leave certain characters in a place where readers will be asking, "What happens next?"  One character in particular will be left in such a predicament that people will be demanding the fourth book, and won't be satisfied until they learn the fate of said character.  Therefore, I can't just leave things in limbo, and have begun work on the next volume in the series, tentatively entitled "Unforsaken."

I can't share a whole lot about this fourth volume in the series, largely because it would take too much explanation, since the second book is still pending publication this spring/summer.  I don't want to send out too many spoilers, but I will say that the fourth book will take us beyond familiar settings, and into a whole new realm of possibilities.  We'll still have several of the same cast of characters, but also a lot of new ones, and a whole host of concepts that will bring the series to a whole new height of excellence.

I'm really excited about this fourth book, since it does allow me to write something a little different than what I've been writing, while sticking with familiar characters and their universe.  Let's hope for big things to happen, and remember: Never trust an elf with a Tommy-Gun!

No comments:

Post a Comment