Friday, March 2, 2012

The Wish List 2012

We all have things we wish to buy, in excess of the bare necessities of life.  Each year, I put together a "wish list" of sorts, of things I would like to acquire if the price is right and my wallet can afford them.  Often times, the things I put on the list get marginalized, as my buying priorities shift to more important things (like clothing for the kids, or firewood), but it's nice to dream, isn't it?

Here are a few things I have on my list this year.

Star Trek: The Original Series (DVD sets):
This is something that's been on the list for years.  I just haven't gotten around to picking up original Trek on DVD.  For years, the sets were pretty expensive, but now that they're settling into the $40 range, I'll see what I can budget and may get them at last.

8-Day Clock:
Just like our grandparents used to have.  I've been meaning to get an old 8-Day wind-up clock for years, something that'll keep time even when the power goes out and batteries are unavailable.  It doesn't need to be anything really fancy, just reliable.

Computer Battery Back-Up:
Another thing for when the power goes out.  I was advised by a friend to buy a "Tripp-Lite" backup some time ago.  There's nothing worse than being in the middle of writing something and having the power flicker, shutting your system down and erasing precious words.  I've been lucky so far, and haven't lost more than a few paragraphs here and there, but having one of these backups would prevent even that!

This is one of the more comprehensive and intriguing biographies of Mayflower passenger Stephen Hopkins.  As a Hopkins descendant, I've been meaning to get this book and read more about this most interesting and colorful of the Pilgrims.

Star Wars Trilogy DVD:
Here's another set of DVDs I've been meaning to get, but just haven't found them to be of the utmost priority.  I've had the original Star Wars trilogy on VHS for ages, and I watched these movies so much when I was a kid that I can still virtually recite them line for line.  I know there are some extra scenes and enhanced special effects on the DVD releases, and one of these days I'll get around to seeing them.

Bing Crosby CDs:
I have a certain affinity for old music.  It's not every day, but there are times when I want to sit down and listen to the really old classics, and Bing Crosby was one of the greatest singers of his day.  I have some of his stuff on LP and a few of his 78RPM records, but not a single CD.  I've really got to pick some up this year.

There you have it, a few of the little things off the top of my head that I'd really like to get in 2012.  I could "wish" for an April 7th birthday surprise on some of these, but I doubt any of my friends will spring for them.  Birthdays are for kids, and most of us have to buy our own presents when we grow up.  Still, I wouldn't say no if somebody felt like being charitable.

(I can't wait until I'm "wealthy" enough to be the charitable one for a change!)

No comments:

Post a Comment