Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Doctor Who: Series Six, Part One (DVD) -Review

I bought this newly released DVD set last week, so I'll give my usual, brief commentary about it.

Coming off the success of Series Five, Doctor Who's new season kicked off with a story I felt was a bit over the top.  The two-part premiere left me wondering if things were going to be on a downward slope this season (sorry, the Doctor meets Richard Nixon?  That really didn't do it for me).  Fortunately, the premiere two-parter was followed up by a fresh batch of stellar episodes that returned us to the greatness we saw last year.  By the seventh episode (which concludes this first half-season), I was totally riveted again, and now I can't wait to see what the second half has in store.

One big plus this half-season concerns the new revelation about River Song.  The ambiguity of her character was starting to wear a little thin, and it was high time for some answers.  Boy, did we get them in the big finale!  I'm sure not everyone will appreciate the shocking plot twist, but I for one welcomed it, and think it's amazing.

The biggest letdown for me was the Silence/Silents.  They're an interesting concept, but they just didn't do it for me (kind of like Nixon, they didn't pique my interest that much).  I find myself hoping the human race has killed them all off by now, and we never see them again (I know, wishful thinking on my part).  I'm sure a huge slew of fandom loves them, and Steven Moffat probably has them planned for bigger and better things later on.  I'll cross my fingers and hope for a better feeling the second time around.

Extras were pretty slim on this DVD set, so don't buy it for that.  Get it because you want to watch these incredible episodes commercial free whenever you want!

Overall, this first half of Series Six gets a 4.5 rating from me.  It's not quite as good as Series Five, but close.

No comments:

Post a Comment