Wednesday, August 3, 2011

House M.D. (Season 1 DVD) –Review

I'll admit I'm not big on "medical dramas."  I couldn't stand ER, and generally yawn at the glut of doctor shows flooding the airwaves.  So, what I'm about to say about House M.D. might come as a surprise.  I really quite enjoy it.  Why?  Perhaps because it is quirky, and not another General Hospital wannabe.  The main character (played by the very talented Hugh Laurie) is so misanthropic at times he adds genuine flavor to a show that might otherwise be pretty drab and clinical.  That, and the medical cases the show handles are so bizarre it can spark the imagination.

Until recently, I hadn't really given the show that much attention.  I watched a stray episode here or there over the years, yet in a recent impulse buy I decided to pick up the first season on DVD (hey, it was only $25 at Walmart, so it wasn't a big investment).  After sitting down to watch this first season, I enjoyed myself and broadened my horizons.  Bully for me!  Now I have to save up to get the other sets.  So much entertainment, so little disposable income...

In my opinion, the first season of House M.D. is the cream of the crop when it comes to medical shows.  Even if you aren't a big fan of this mainstream sub-genre, this show is worthy of your time.  4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment