Saturday, August 13, 2011

Saturday The 13th

Spooky!  It's that uncommon occurrence when the 13th day of the month happens to land on a Saturday.  How scary is that?  Much more frightening than a lousy Friday, that's for sure.

I was never one for superstition, and have often turned such foolish beliefs around, as evidenced by my Lucky 13 books.  Friday the 13th is not something that concerns me, and I laugh at it.  Of course, one year ago today, my mother died on Friday the 13th, so there's some irony for you!  Other than that, I can't think of anything really bad happening on a 13.

I've heard different legends about where the fear of the number 13 comes from, and the most common one revolved around the fact that there were 13 people at the Last Supper, and it was on a Friday.  Somehow, that's supposed to spell bad luck, because Christ got betrayed and crucified shortly thereafter.  Ohhh-kay.  Regardless of the origin, I would not advise anyone to fear the number 13.

So, here's a short ditty I tossed together ages ago to commemorate this special conjunction of number and day!


Thirteens have usually been good to me.
I've never known a bad one.
But I just don't know
how today's going to be for me.
Saturday the thirteenth; scary, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment