Sunday, October 9, 2011

Here's to You, Mr. Robinson

After a great deal of researching, I have finally had a breakthrough in the case of Joseph B. Robinson (my great-great grandfather).  This had been a stumbling block for me, as this family line ended so abruptly, while many others I've researched go much further back.  I knew the answer to Mr. Robinson's identity was right there in plain sight; I just needed a little more information and time to figure it out.

I won't go into detail regarding the many hours of digging I did or the many documents I combed through.  That's liable to put you to sleep.  However, I will share what I was able to discover through that diligent search.

Joseph B. Robinson was born on March 3, 1874, in Bridgeton, New Jersey.  His father was William V. Robinson (born circa 1840) -Updated-, and his mother was Josephine Busby (sometimes spelled Buzby).  William was "Overseer of the Road" for the 3rd Ward of Bridgeton back in 1880, and he died sometime before 1920.

William & Josephine Robinson had 5 daughters and 1 other son besides Joseph:

Vermenta (b. December 28, 1869)
Mary J. (b. March 9, 1872) -Updated-
Maggie (b. 1877 /Died November 2, 1880)
Catherine (b. May 29, 1879)
Alma (b. December 1, 1885)
William V. Jr., (b. May 3, 1888)

All of Joseph's siblings were also born in Bridgeton, NJ.  I haven't discovered who any of the sisters married, but I did find that William Jr. married Emma C. Yost (b.1896 in NJ).  They had at least 2 sons and 2 daughters (all born in NJ):

Elizabeth (b. 1917)
Margaret (b. 1919)
William B. (b. 1923)
Charles R. (b. 1925)

Where they went from here remains a mystery, but I hope to learn more about the Robinson line as time goes by.  I'm now on a quest to find out who William V. Robinson's parents were, and I'm still doing more work on Josephine Busby's line (though I have already identified her father and many of her siblings; we'll discuss them in a future post).  Perhaps there are some other descendants out there who know more about the Robinsons in our family.  If so, I'd like to hear from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment